Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's that time again!

The holidays are upon us and the air is rife with festive spirit. The perfect conditions to stock up on supplies, close your curtains and shun humanity. If you're not with me yet, I'm talking about Ludum Dare 25. That special time of the year when game developers (both professional and aspiring) hone their asocial skills and attempt to make a game in 48 hours.

Despite what my lack of posts these last few months would indicate, I have not been idle. Since LD24 I have been working on my very own JavaScript + HTML5 game engine which I plan on using in LD25.

Here's what the engine includes so far:
  • Basic interval/callback management
  • Keyboard + Mouse input control
  • Simple, yet dynamic, UI creation
  • Random number generators (Including Perlin noise)
  • Simple canvas management and drawing routines
  • An AI subsystem utilising the A* algorithm
To test the library (and make sure its functionality stays generic) I have been working on 6 mini game that utilise it. Included in this is an HTML5 version of Scorched Earth



Hopefully, LD25 will inspire me to start being more active on the blog again and maybe even to get back into some C++ development.

So, please check back this weekend as I will be updating t his blog often as I make progress on my submissions. And feel free to let me know if you will be taking part in LD25 so I can drop in when I have a few seconds to spare.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, loved that game so much back in the day.

    I'm probably going to try LD again this time, depending on the subject. I couldn't think of anything suitable for the last one that was within my abilities. And the previous one, I totally failed at, despite having multiple ideas. But third time's a charm, right?

    ReplyDelete